8TH GRADE- US II
This course will cover American history from the Civil War up to the Present. We will explore the significant events and people that helped shape American history. Through weekly readings, various projects, current events, and class discussions/ debates this course will provide you with an intellectually stimulating and enjoyable class.
1. Analyze how events are related over time.
2. Use critical thinking skills to interpret events, point of view, and context
3. Assess the credibility of primary and secondary sources.
4. Formulate questions based on information needs.
5. Use effective strategies for locating information.
6. Compare and contrast competing interpretations of current and historical events
5. Summarize information in written, graphic, and oral formats.
Types of Assignments
Unit 5- The Nation Breaks Apart 1861-1877
Unit 6- A Growing America 1850-1914
Unit 7- The Beginning of Modern America 1867-1920
Unit 8- Boom Times and Challenges
Unit 9 Postwar America 1945-1975
Unit 10- Modern America 1968-Present
Test and Quiz Corrections
b. Research Papers
c. Oral Presentations
h. Charts/ Graphs
i. Novel – Journal Writing
If a student gets below an 84% on a test or quiz they have the opportunity for a "retake" and take the test over again to earn up to an 84%. Each student will be permitted to "retake" ONE test per marking period. There is no restriction as to the number of quizzes that can be "retaken".